Danny Forest is a self-proclaimed obsessive learner that attempts to learn 3 new skills a month.
A couple of years ago I reached out to him via email to ask for some advice about learning new skills and he was nice enough to give me his time and answer a few questions. Fast forward two years later, he kindly agreed to join me on the podcast to talk about what he’s currently up to.
In 2018, Danny took up writing on Medium and within a year he became one of the top writers in a number of different categories. He attributes his success to his routine and following through with it.
From approaching a new skill to the tools he uses to stay on top of skill learning, we talk on a number of topics related to skill learning.
Timestamp Format – HH:MM:SS
- 0:02:51 How we first met. Article: I learn 3 new skills a month, and so can you!
- 0:03:47 Article: Here Is How You Know It’s Time to Move On to Another Skill
- 0:06:11 Erik Hamre 100 Hours
- 0:07:31 Surprising my girlfriend by learning Swedish
- 0:08:29 Article: According to Science, 49 Percent of Your Traits Are Given to You at Birth
- 0:09:19 How Danny became one of the top writers on Medium in a short amount of time
- 0:10:51 What meta learning is and how it helps you to learn a new skill
- 0:12:49 How Danny is a programmer by trade
- 0:14:21 How Danny balances programming & writing
- 0:15:21 “Protect your routine and your routine will protect you”
- 0:15:33 Danny’s routine
- 0:15:43 Nick Wignall Article: Mornings Should Be Easier, Not Earlier
- 0:20:15 Experimenting with the circadian rhythm
- 0:21:33 Skills Danny is currently working on right now
- 0:26:51 The forgetting curve
- 0:28:51 Having a goal with skill learning & the importance of accountability
- 0:31:25 Forestco.co
- 0:34:23 SkillUp Academy
- 0:41:15 A tool to help him learn new skills